Warning: ob_start(): output handler 'ob_gzhandler' conflicts with 'zlib output compression' in /home/kompapa/public_html/oldboard/includes/page_header.php on line 44
KOMPA! MAGAZINE :: View topic - USA's Justin Gatlin beats 100M world record
KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

USA's Justin Gatlin beats 100M world record

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Let's Talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VladVice

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: USA's Justin Gatlin beats 100M world record Reply with quote Back to top

Olympic champion Justin Gatlin beat 100m world record in Doha on Friday, with a time of 9.76s. The American beat the previous best of 9.77 set by Jamaica's Asafa Powell in Athens on June 14, 2005.

The young sprinter was delighted with his performance and further credit goes to him, as Gatlin called his world record beating in a press conference on Wednesday.

"I am the best of the best because I am the Olympic champion, the world champion and the world record holder now," Gatlin told reporters.

"I thought I would do it and I kept my word. I am a man who likes challenges and my acceleration today was phenomenal."

Gatlin announced he had his sights set on the world record earlier this week after clocking 9.95 seconds in his first outing of the season in Osaka last Saturday.

He recorded the fastest time in the world this year, 9.85 seconds, in the Doha semi-final.

Gatlin and Powell, who also ran 9.95 in Kingston, Jamaica at the weekend, are due to clash at a grand prix meeting in Gateshead, England on June 11.

The pair last met on the track in London in July when Powell pulled up with a groin problem that put paid to his season.

Gatlin said the world record could go again later in 2006. "The timings could be further improved this year, probably in Europe," said Gatlin, who dedicated his record to God and his parents.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Let's Talk! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: