KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

Nash Reported to earn 2nd NBA MVP award

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Let's Talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
konpaconvert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Nash Reported to earn 2nd NBA MVP award Reply with quote Back to top

Updated: April 26, 2006, 8:40 AM ET

Reports say Nash earns NBA MVP award
ESPN.com news services

PHOENIX -- Steve Nash will win his second straight NBA Most Valuable Player award, according to reports on several area newspapers.

The announcement may not come for two weeks, according to the Arizona Republic. But the paper, and others, report that the voting shows Nash edging LeBron James, Dirk Nowitzki, Chauncey Billups and Kobe Bryant for the MVP.

This season, Nash had career-highs in points (18.8 points per game), rebounds (4.2 per game), field goal percentage (51.2 percent) and free throw percentage (92.1 percent -- best in the league). He was also the league-leader in assists (10.5) and shot nearly 50 percent from three-point range.

The Suns are currently playing the Los Angeles Lakers in the first round of the Western Conference playoffs.

A year ago, Nash edged Shaquille O'Neal in what was the fourth-closest balloting in history.

konpaconvert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

this years it was really tight and you could make a strong case for everyone....

BTW before you Kobe fans get outraged, i think that the main reason that he didn't get the MVP was that:

1) There was not that much improvement of his overall team from last year. Yes they're in the playoffs but to be honest they probably would've made it last year had Bryant not gotten hurt...and not to mention they are only a 7-seed.

Lebron team didn't make it last year but this year they are a 4-seed

2) Didn't make the guys around him better....when you're as dominating as he is ala Shaq, Duncan, Lebron etc your supporting cast should have career high in their statistical categories, other than Smooch Parker I don't think any other player on that squad has vastly improved...

Nash on the otherhand has helped improved the statistiics Marion, Diaw, Bell , etc...and they have maintiained a top seed in the West (#2) without their most dominating player (Stoudamaire) the entire season.

For as many times Kobe gets the ball and gets double and triple teamed, his assist totals/avg are relatively low when compared to the assist of Lebron and Wade who get similar defenses....yes Wade might Shaq to lob to but who does Lebron have............?

All in all I think that Kobe is the most dominating player in the league and is also an excellent defender but I can see why he s not going to be the MVP this year.

Congrats to Nash, he may not be as exciting as Kobe & Lebron and people are not breaking their backs to get his jersey or shoes but when he's one the floor this skinny white canadian is the Most Valuable Player in the League.

Epi thats it!

jacomo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like to see arguments on why Steve should be a two time MVP winner when a guy like Stockton (and I have much hate in my heart for Mr. Shortie Shorts) doesn't have one.

See the numbers:

John Stockton
1988-89: 17.1 ppg, 13.6 apg, 3.0 rpg, 3.2 spg for 51-31 Utah Jazz.
1989-90: 17.2 ppg, 14.5 apg, 2.6 rpg, 2.7 spg for 55-27 Utah Jazz.
1990-91: 17.2 ppg, 14.2 apg, 2.9 rpg, 2.6 spg for 54-28 Utah Jazz.
1991-92: 15.8 ppg, 13.7 apg, 3.3 rpg, 3.0 spg for 55-27 Utah Jazz

Personally, I just don't see why Steve gets two, for similar or less numbers, when nutters stockton didn't get one. Yeah, Jordan was ballin in those days, but Kobe was ballin this year.

You have to conclude that Unfrozen Caveman Point Guard was lucky to excel when he did, or that the MVP has seriously lost its luster. I go with the latter here, given that Shaq during the championship runs got one, and probably earned one outside the ring years. MVP is a pop contest these days...with the best likeable player winning...of course, that would mean that Bron Bron Bron Bron would have won this one....maybe ESPN couldn't swing enough votes.

And damn I hate Stockton...and damn I'm glad that nutter never got the MVP trophy. Big laugh to the Jazz!!!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
jacomo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Konpacovert to answer your question or concern on why Kobe did not win.....

Let's see,

Yes Lebron James' team is a 4 seed.... But when you play teams like Atlanta, Orlando, Toronto, New York, Charlotte among others 4 times a year then anything less a 4th seed would be a complete failure. Not to mention the fact that he has a much better supporting casts. I wish we had Larry Hughes, Damon Jones, Eric Snow, Gooden, Ilgauskas on the Lakers.....

As far as Kobe not making his teammates better nonsense....

***Since the all-star break Lamar Odom's been playing the best ball of his career, averaging danm near a triple double.
***Smush Parker is almost a household name now*****.
****Kwame Brown is now becoming a big defensive presence and he's finally showing his potential.*****
****Luke "The only reason I’m in the NBA is because of my dad” Walton is now looking like he belongs in the NBA.*****
****Chris Mihm had the best year of his career.****
***Even Sasha Vujacic for goodness sake is beginning to show flashes****

As for the assist: Any guy who averages 35 points and still dishes out 5 assists per game deserves much kudos. Assist is not really a good indicator on whether or not a guy is passing the ball,. A lot of times he passes out of the double and teammates don’t make the shot, that don’t show up on the box score.

******This just in: Two seasons ago Larry Bird said there are not enough white stars in the NBA and right after that Steve Nash wins back to back MVPs.******

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
konpaconvert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

jacomo wrote:
I'd like to see arguments on why Steve should be a two time MVP winner when a guy like Stockton (and I have much hate in my heart for Mr. Shortie Shorts) doesn't have one.

See the numbers:

John Stockton
1988-89: 17.1 ppg, 13.6 apg, 3.0 rpg, 3.2 spg for 51-31 Utah Jazz.
1989-90: 17.2 ppg, 14.5 apg, 2.6 rpg, 2.7 spg for 55-27 Utah Jazz.
1990-91: 17.2 ppg, 14.2 apg, 2.9 rpg, 2.6 spg for 54-28 Utah Jazz.
1991-92: 15.8 ppg, 13.7 apg, 3.3 rpg, 3.0 spg for 55-27 Utah Jazz

Personally, I just don't see why Steve gets two, for similar or less numbers, when nutters stockton didn't get one. Yeah, Jordan was ballin in those days, but Kobe was ballin this year.

You have to conclude that Unfrozen Caveman Point Guard was lucky to excel when he did, or that the MVP has seriously lost its luster. I go with the latter here, given that Shaq during the championship runs got one, and probably earned one outside the ring years. MVP is a pop contest these days...with the best likeable player winning...of course, that would mean that Bron Bron Bron Bron would have won this one....maybe ESPN couldn't swing enough votes.

And damn I hate Stockton...and damn I'm glad that nutter never got the MVP trophy. Big laugh to the Jazz!!!

MVP - Majic Johnson
88-89 7.9 rpg 12.8 apg 22.5 ppg
89-90 6.6 rpg 11.5 apg 22.3 ppg

(high assist total but alot more rebonds and alot more points)

MVP - Michael Jordan
90-91 6.00 rpg 5.5 apg 31.5 ppg
91-92 6.40 rpg 6.1 apg 30.1 ppg

(Jordan just got eveything he wanted, All NBA, All Defense, All Star)

I think that Kobe did dominate this year but this year was a dominating year for a bunch of others as well...Kobe may have had the most highlights (high scoring games) but the record and team performances don't really show...thats the difference....MJ was never a seven-seed winning the MVP (maybe back in 88 when he won every trophy that you could've won that year)

Do I think that Kobe has a bad rep in the league, YES, but thats life Barkley had one too and it hurt him trmemndously but he over came and finally got an MVP, so did Malone...I think that KObe will eventually get his day as well, just not this year though.

kafou

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

By the way km Steve Nash was not Born in Canada, rather he was Born in South Africa.

A LA MANIERE DE MIZIK LAKAY
" OU DI OU CHAJE KLAS, ENBIN POUKISA OU PA ALLER FE LEKOL AVEK YO"

PhizUniq

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's funny how Jason Kidd never won the MVP award. Didn't he lead NJ Nets to the Finals twice?

kafou

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Phiz;

Jason Kid got Robbbbbbbb, the handed it to Tim Ducan twice away from Jason Kid. Even shaq Call it out when JAson Kidd got Robbed

A LA MANIERE DE MIZIK LAKAY
" OU DI OU CHAJE KLAS, ENBIN POUKISA OU PA ALLER FE LEKOL AVEK YO"

PhizUniq

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Kafou, ou wè sa tou???

I never understood how Tim Duncan won these 2 MVPs over Jason Kidd and Kevin Garnett. Till today, I'm trying to understand... Rolling Eyes

jacomo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Phizuniq,

I'm with you on that one.... J. Kidd definitely got robbed that year. Shaq's theory on why Jason Kidd didn't win is because the league wanted someone who would appeal to the predominantly white audience and according to Shaq, Tim Duncan fits that description more than J. Kidd, Kevin Garnett and definitely more than A.I who had won it the previous year.

(This is Shaq's theory, I don't know if there's any truth to it)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Let's Talk! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: