KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

FABIOLA DUPOUX LEGER: 20 QUESTIONS UNCENSORED INTERVIEW!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> KM INTERVIEW CLASSICS!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: FABIOLA DUPOUX LEGER: 20 QUESTIONS UNCENSORED INTERVIEW! Reply with quote Back to top

FABIOLA DUPOUX LEGER is known to many as KREZI's co-manager, and the former manager of KONPA KREYOL. This is the ultimate UNCENSORED INTERVIEW where she answers all the questions surrounding KREZI, KREYOL LA, the KONPA KREYOL breakup, Ti Joe Zenny, her kidnapping a few months back & MUCH MORE.

This is the FABIOLA DUPOUX LEGER interview that YOU DO NOT WANT TO MISS.

1) What is KREZI currently up to, and what is the NEAR future for the group?

FABIOLA: Krezi played this week with T-Vice in St Marc and last night with K-dans for Telemax anniversary...They're leaving Haiti on monday for a tour in Martinique, Guadeloupe, French Guyana and St martin. They' ll be in Miami on June 15 and 16 to perform with ZIN...and June is also the graduation time, and we have quite a few of those. We're in the process of finishing the "Pa tcheke Krezi" video clip...Then, there's the second anniversary coming up on june 2nd and 3rd... we'll keep you posted about the festivities......The "kick" is no longer on the MPC, since after the carnaval, it's Ti Roos's full responsibility now and we're also thinking of adding one or two new musicians to the familly.We'll keep you posted.

2) Is KREZI where YOU expected them to be right now or not? Why or Why not?

FABIOLA: Yes, and even farther than I expected at the beginning. We had so many things against us. For example, We were a NEW group, we had so many "heads" in the industry against us. Lots of people rejecting Mika as a compas lead singer...and so on...But, we were and still are determined to succeed. We're a Team with a vision and a mission. We have very talented musicians. We had a few great people who believed enough in the project to stand with us and, last but not least, we always put God in everything we do. So, I sincerely think we are doing well.

3) When people say that Krezi does NOT have a HIT SONG yet, do you
agree or disagree with that?

FABIOLA: I agree 100%. Krezi does not have a hit song yet, but, the album has been out for less than six months so I would say we still
have to wait and see what happens. Some people say that "Back to Back" and/or "Ti mafi" are or will be a hit. I don't know about that...But I do believe that a hit depends a lot on the public reaction, and sometimes this reaction changes with time ...just think about " Why do you say you love me? " from Nu-Look, "mizik sa a mache apre plizye mwa"...and it was and still is a major HIT. I also want to add that "Ti Mafi / Let's talk / Negosye / Back to back" are working very well in Haiti..we don't have a hit yet, but having 4 songs on the album that works very well...it's like having 1 hit.

4) Do you think a band NEEDS A HIT SONG TO MAKE IT BIG in the hmi or not?

FABIOLA: Well, Pat, it all depends on what you mean by "to make it big". I think that it's easier and faster for a band, in the HMI, to "MAKE IT BIG" as you say, with a "hit song"...there's no doubt...For example, "La Familia" from Djakout was a hit song, and so was CaRiMi's "Bang Bang", and both band "made it big" after these releases, but, I don't believe it's mandatory for a band in the HMI to have a "hit song" ''poul mache"...for that, you just need songs "kap mache".

As examples, I'd first say, the one and only,"Konpa Kreyol", and now,"Hang Out". At the time Konpa Kreyol existed, we never had a song that was considered a hit. "Nou te gen bel mizik, ke moun te renmen, ki tap mache, men nou pat gen hit". Maybe, our first hit was going to be "Kore'm La" ( we started playing the "hit" part since october 2004, and we played it at our last party, the after party of the 2005 Indyfest at Bermuda with T-Vice...)...But, keep in mind that all these things about "making it big" and "hit songs" is very subjective because it has a lot to do with one's own feelings and perception. So, this is only, My take on the subject.

5) Faby...Is there a RIVALRY/POLEMIK between KREZI and KREYOL LA
because both camps used to be part of Konpa Kreyol?

FABIOLA: I would say that there's a competition. As far as Rivalry, Polemik, Krezi is not interested at all because it wouldn't be a commercial one. The objectivity would not be respected because there's too much emotions involved between some people from both bands, and thus, it would be unfair to the members who were not part of the "drama" that took place two years ago...

6) Do you REGRET the breakup of KONPA KREYOL or not?

FABIOLA: Honestly, Pat, Yes and NO. YES, because Konpa Kreyol was a Great band and I think it's a loss for the industry. I used to consider the band as my first baby. KONPA KREYOL was born in front of me, and I've been part of every step in its birth and development. Dave,Ti jo, Jeff and I came really far "sot lwen". I'm proud to have participated in its' success
and I have memories with Konpa Kreyol and its members, that are deeper and stronger than the sad things that happened toward the end. I will cherish these memories all my life...

NO I don't regret it because KREZI MIZIK wouldn't exist today...and I think we have the opportunity and the chance, to do things better and to be part of an entity that I believe can make a difference in this industry at different levels.

7) People say that YOU are the MAIN REASON why Konpa Kreyol broke up because of the SONSON incident at INDYFEST that SPLIT the band by
putting DAVID & MANAGEMENT on one side, and TI JOE and the rest of the guys on THE OTHER SIDE. What do you have to say about that?

FABIOLA: I am definitely NOT the main reason why Konpa Kreyol broke up. The incident with Mr Etheart at the Indyfest provoked the breakup. The main reason is that there were too many issues that had not been resolved when they were supposed to have been; too many things left unsaid and kept inside of all of us; and the fact that we grew in different directions and had different agendas as konpa Kreyol was expending its wings...

8) Is the FABIOLA FROM KONPA KREYOL the same person as the FABIOLA FROM KREZI? Has FABIOLA changed in terms of the way that she goes about things in dealing with different people?

FABIOLA: YES, I'm still passionate about my work. "Maternelle, franche et directe" person. This is ME and I hope this will never change. And, NO, I'm no longer the naive and spontaneous woman I used to be. Let's say that I no longer believe in the natural greatness of the human being. In terms of dealing with different people, it has a lot to do with the other's perception of the women in our society. The haitian society is very "machiste" and it affects most of the relations between men and women.
When I started in this industry with Konpa Kreyol I was a very young woman of 23 years. The other women in this business were older and thus, men respected them more.

A lot of people approached me at the beginning taking me for granted that I didn't know anything and that they could walk all over me because of my inexperience in the business. I've had and still have great relationships with all the people who respected me from the begining.
So, now with Krezi, I practically deal only with the ones with whom I already had a good past relationship. This part of the job is mostly taken care of by Ti Lionel and Philippe.

9) Do you think you were UNFAIRLY being criticized as being "RUDE/NOT
NICE" when you managed Konpa Kreyol?

FABIOLA: At some point Yes. I know that I've been rude, not nice sometimes. And I take full responsibility. But, the reputation goes far beyond the reality! For example, I ONCE said something to a promoter that was really out of character.. but the reputation that I have is that I AM ALWAYS SAYING THESE WORDS TO DIFFERENT PROMOTERS.

10) Faby, HOW did you hear for the first time that KONPA KREYOL was breaking up?

FABIOLA: There was a reunion at my house, on a Saturday, in January 2005 after the Haitian Independance Festival. I don't remember if it was the day after or on Monday morning. Dave called me and told me that he had just received a call from Ti Ansyto who wanted to know what was happening because some of the other members had contacted him to replace Dave in Konpa Kreyol.

11) Ti Joe says that he has seen you a couple of times and said hello
to you. You chose NOT to say anything to him. Is that TRUE or FALSE?

FABIOLA: FALSE...the first time Ti Jo and I saw each other face to face was at the Djakout anniversary at Kinam in 2005. I was sitting at a table with other people. He stopped by to kiss and say hello to some people at our table and ignored me.

12) Can KREZI become a major force in the business like Konpa Kreyol was?

FABIOLA: Yes, I think Krezi CAN be a major force in the business like Konpa Kreyol. And I beieive that we can go further than that! The potential is definitely there.

13) Do you see KREZI ever being invited to RODNEY NOEL's COMPAS
FESTIVAL, or you don't think it will happen any time soon?

FABIOLA: Why not? I consider Rodney Noel as a smart businessman who works for the promotion of the Haitian culture in the Florida community. So, I truly believe that if one day, even if it's not anytime soon, he thinks krezi might add something to his show, he'll contact us. And it's the same for the Haintian Independdance Festival toward kreyol la. So, yes, I think Krezi will be invited someday at the Compas Festival.

14) How is YOUR relationship with Joubert Charles?

FABIOLA: We have a very courteuous relationship. Joubert and I were very close and I think we have a lot of respect for one another. At some point I did or said things that hurt him and he did and said things that hurt me. So, maybe we will never have the friendship we once had, but I believe that we can sit together one day, scratch a few things and work together sometimes.

15) What do you say to people who say that Krezi will not be able to
make it big "because MIKA is NOT a COMPAS singer"? Do you agree or
disagree with those people?

FABIOLA: I totally disagree. What exactly is a compas singer? I see no similarity between Eric Charles and Alan Cave, Roberto Martino and Gracia Delva, and so on. They're all doing their thing! At some point, I think Krezi might even have an edge to make it big because Mika is not "a compas singer" as they put it.

16) Will a KREZI/KREYOL LA bal ever happen? Would you be ok with that
if an offer was made?

FABIOLA: Honestly, I don't know if it will ever happene. As I answered in a previous question, there's too much emotion still in the air. Today, I don't think that such a party should be sold to a promoter, but be held by both bands with a middle man. And this is strictly business. Therefore, if both camps cannot sit for a meeting to plan the event, it should not happen as far as I'm concerned. But, I've learned that anything can happen in the HMI! So, tomorrow is another day and, who knows, I might see things differently.

17) Would you attend or take part if a KONPA KREYOL REUNION PARTY/BAL ever come up? Why or why not?

FABIOLA: NO, I wouldn't take part nor attend a konpa Kreyol reunion party / bal as you say. Konpa kreyol was very dear to a lot of people and its breakup affected many of them, and I respect that. If such a reunion would be possible today, it would mean that the "actors" of the drama could have dealt with the issues differently. I think it would be a total lack of respect toward the Konpa kreyol's fans and an insult to their inteligence.

1Cool Is everything back to normal after the SAD incident that took
place with you in Haiti? The kidnapping. It's ok if you do not want
to answer or talk about it.

FABIOLA: Let me say that things are better. It will take time to be back on me feet after such an incident...it is a trauma and it certainly affects my life in so many ways. But, life goes on. I have a wonderful family, friends and co-workers who have been there for me and I thank God for being alive and healthy today, when others weren't so lucky. I want to thank all of you, once again, who prayed for me. I'm asking you to keep on praying for Haiti and all our compatriots who are still going through this awful experience.

19) If you had a message to send to TI JOE ZENNY. What would it be,
or what would you say?

FABIOLA: Well, Pat, I don't have any message for Ti Jo. And, after sharing so many things with somebody for 7 years, if I have something to say to him one day, it will not be on the website. ..."nou sot two lwen pou sa".

20) Any final words to the Krezi fans?

FABIOLA: First of all, I want to thank you, Pat, for this interview. Keep it up because you're really good at what you do. And to all the Krezi fans, especially the ones on KM, on behalf of the entire Krezi familly, I want to take the opportunity to say: " THANK YOU SO MUCH". Your constant support is what makes us keep working and improving. Support for us means honesty and objectivity..your compliments are as important as your critiques...so please, keep them coming.

XXplosive

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I like the way she answer the questions, very honest. We can also sense that she's very confident about her band.
She was right about saying that Krezi gen mizik k'ap mache, maybe they'll be hit, it depends. But as for Kompa Kreyol, they had HITS. Viens Chez Moi wasn't just a mizik k'ap mache, it was a hit.
Other than that, very good interview.
Good Job Pat!

Gentleman1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

questions were good and answers were perfect.
nothing to add, good job Pat.

ZENGLEN PI RED

zipgenel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DEAR FABIOLA...
personellement.. mwen renmen jan'w reponn question yo ak anpil confidence..

however as a fan... I will never be able to forgive you for Kompa kreyol break up.. it does not matter how many times you tell me that you had nothing to do with it...

km great job.. bel interview..
Fabiola pa vle krezi melanje ak kreyol la... cause when you ask if there could be a kreyol/krezi bal... she answered.. that she does not know if it would ever happen Rolling Eyes
as a kompa kreyol fan... I hate both... kreyol la and krezi... I don't care anymore Rolling Eyes

leroizai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

A very nice interview...
Good job Pat, tankou Fabiola di a "you're very good at what u do"

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Bumble Bee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Very Good Interview indeed !!!!!!!!

All the questions that some people had concerning some issues were covered...& "F.D.L" in her answers was fair and straightfoward !

Inconnu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks KM for this interview. I really enjoyed that. I think Krezi's got a bright future in the HMI and beyond. The addition of new musicians and possibly going live are very good news.

A very frank and refreshing exchange.

Staff Poze 2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know the lady personally....like she said she started when she was only 23 and she made some mistakes and it seems to me that she also learned her lessons the hard way....
I saw her at work twice and I don't know if it was my bad luck or hers......she left very bad impressions on both occasion...
Once at Marabout Café....her body language betrayed her big time while talking to somebody and I went Florida to observe the band for my own research... and the second time I saw Fabiola it was in Haiti at Le Cercle Bellevue during a Music En Folie Festival she has a table and I saw her talking to a customer and I said WOW.....Gadé ki jan ou moun ap palé ak moun kap achete nan men li yo....I was talking to Fanfan Ti Bot of Tabou Combo and she was right across me.....then I just skip her table and move along.....
It's a must for people in this business and any kind of BUSINESS to be nice to every one not just those that you choose to be nice with...because you never know who is watching.....
The big question especially in SHOW BUSINESS is...How would you like to be remembered?
So to all the other "23 years old" newcomers......be nice enough so that some day you will not have to say such things in an interview.......

9) Do you think you were UNFAIRLY being criticized as being "RUDE/NOT
NICE" when you managed Konpa Kreyol?

FABIOLA: At some point Yes. I know that I've been rude, not nice sometimes. And I take full responsibility.

Other than that good interview, and I always said that I think that Krezy will go far because I know that you guys know what you are doing and how to move a band forward....
Good Luck.............

cyntou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
3) When people say that Krezi does NOT have a HIT SONG yet, do you
agree or disagree with that?

FABIOLA: I agree 100%. Krezi does not have a hit song yet, but, the album has been out for less than six months so I would say we still
have to wait and see what happens. Some people say that "Back to Back" and/or "Ti mafi" are or will be a hit. I don't know about that...But I do believe that a hit depends a lot on the public reaction, and sometimes this reaction changes with time ...just think about " Why do you say you love me? " from Nu-Look, "mizik sa a mache apre plizye mwa"...and it was and still is a major HIT. I also want to add that "Ti Mafi / Let's talk / Negosye / Back to back" are working very well in Haiti..we don't have a hit yet, but having 4 songs on the album that works very well...it's like having 1 hit.

men se pa serious sa - depi tout date sa - epi yo toujou paka genn an hit Question poukisa yo fe album alor Question

6th_Sens

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

WOW WOW WOW ... LI Fè INTERVIEW SA-A AVEC "RESERVES ET TRUQUES" SI NOU TE GEN ANPIL MOUN NAN MARKET LA KI GEN FORCE D'HUMILITE SA YO BAGAY YO TAP YON LòT JAN WI ... MOUN KI PAP KITE FRUSTRATION AK DESEPSYON Fè YO VIN LAGE NENPòT BAGAY NAN FIGI MOUN

SHE'S EDUCATED, MATURE AND SHE ALSO HAS A STRONG MORAL CHARACTER ...
KREZI M'AVè-W OU MEN MWEN PAP FOU NON Wink

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> KM INTERVIEW CLASSICS! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: