KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

EVEN IN THE AMI!!!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Let's Talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wonder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: EVEN IN THE AMI!!! Reply with quote Back to top

I guess these kinds of things happen in the AMI as well. Not ONLY IN THE HMI Laughing as we often think.

Babyface' Files Suit Against Anita Baker

- - - - - - - - - - - -

April 15,2006 | LOS ANGELES -- Grammy-winning singer-producer Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds has filed a breach of contract lawsuit against singer Anita Baker, claiming she owes him more than $250,000.

According to the lawsuit, filed Thursday in Superior Court, Baker broke two oral agreements with Edmonds, who co-wrote, produced and performed on the song "Like You Used to Do" on Baker's 2004 album "My Everything."

The lawsuit claims Baker refused to pay Edmonds producer's royalties equaling at least $100,000 from an estimated more than 500,000 albums sold.

Edmonds, 47, also alleges that he and Baker had an agreement to play four concerts together, but that Baker canceled two shows and refused to pay $150,000 for those dates.

Spokesman Cem Kurosman from Baker's label, Blue Note, declined to comment Friday, saying the label had no knowledge of the lawsuit.

Edmonds has written hits for a number of R&B stars, including Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Mary J. Blige and Bobby Brown.

konpadiva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wonder,
I read this article late last night and thought the whole music industry itself does it, verbal. Verbal agreements are done in the AMI as well. However, these individuals have the right type of Attorney to represent them Entertainment Lawyer. What I found shocking is that didn't Baker think Edmonds would file a case against her? The industry is far more organized and if artists have a "verbal" agreement, the case is able to be filed without any dilemna compared to our industry. Each invidivual is able to obtain an Attorney and win the case...poko gin sa nan HMI la. Laughing

SIROMYEL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Wonder,
I read this article late last night and thought the whole music industry itself does it, verbal. Verbal agreements are done in the AMI as well. However, these individuals have the right type of Attorney to represent them Entertainment Lawyer. What I found shocking is that didn't Baker think Edmonds would file a case against her? The industry is far more organized and if artists have a "verbal" agreement, the case is able to be filed without any dilemna compared to our industry. Each invidivual is able to obtain an Attorney and win the case...poko gin sa nan HMI la.

Even though, it is always better to have a written contract, it is true that artists can get away with verbal contracts in the AMI.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Let's Talk! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: