KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index KOMPA! MAGAZINE
The site for Haitian Music News as it happens, debates & more.

DISCRIMINATED BECAUSE YOU'RE HAITIAN..YOUR EXPERIENCE!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Let's Talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kompamagazine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: DISCRIMINATED BECAUSE YOU'RE HAITIAN..YOUR EXPERIENCE! Reply with quote Back to top

Have you ever been discriminated because of your HAITIAN ancestry?
If so, tell us of your experience or different occasions that you were discriminated.

How did you feel?
How did you react?

Let it out.

KM!

belchokola

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Discrimination comes in many forms it need not necessarily be discrete.

I've had people had preconceived notions of what "Haitians" are based not only on looks but behaviour--how "Haitians" act based on what they believe. Rolling Eyes

In the area where I live people are mainly African Americans, West Indians--Jamaicans, Antiguans, and Dominicans. The Domincans are notoriously known for their discrimination based on not only skin color, but also how a person may act. Often when I do come across a Dominican and the convo comes to what am I--nationality wise. The reaction is almost always shock. "Aye Mami, ju no look like Ayitiana?" "Ju sure?" Evil or Very Mad (And it's not cause of my skin color, but I 've been told my overall comportment. Style of dress, attitude, that I speak without an accent etc)

The same could be said for African Americans...during the 80's elementary school and up for some in NY. Haitians faced a lot of heat in their respective areas.(Especially when it was believed Haitians were the source of AIDS) I've heard of some even being beat up daily for proclaiming themselves as Haitians. Fortunately for me, I do not tolerate much bs from people. I held my own and was not one of those who took name calling.

Lastly, the believe that EVERY Haitian is a Voudouisant. Not every Haitian sevi lwa. Not every Haitians burn candles and do rituals.

I've ceased being surprised at times by it, and questioning their ideas of what a Haitian is. Sometimes when I want to challenge the person, I will ask questions about what their knowledge of Haiti is Question Of Haitians Question What are they basing it on... Question I would even question about where they come from? What makes them "better" somehow than Haitians?

cici

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I dont think Ive been discriminated on. However, I've gotten the whole:''Are you For real, your family is from Haiti? You're Haitan? I would not even have noticed.''
Its sad to see people having general stereotypes of a certain race on an individual. I guess what people see is what they get, but I try to do better than that and let people know I am me and I am not like others.

SIROMYEL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know if this would be considered discrimination but I work in a language office and someone came in needing some help in french one day and another girl who was there pointed to me and said " she can help you"

The guy, a black hispanic, looked at me and said "oh you're french!'

I said " No, I'm not I'm haitian."

He said, "Oh my God that's not possible. You're beautiful, and you're light skinned!'

I should add that I'm not nearly as light skinned as some haitians

Needless to say people had to come and calm me down. I didn't curse but I sure did give him a piece of my mind. Everyone was apologizing for what he said which made me even more upset. He didn't apologize.

i was kind of disappointed because him being a black hispanic, he should know that people from the same country can be extremely light and extremely dark.

He Came in the office about 3 months later and told me " wow! what do you do to yourself you look even more beautiful now."

I asked this other girl Iwas working with " would you like to hel p this guy because I must go do something else."

Just the other day however, there were two new girl who started working wiht us. One of them exposed to a lot of haitians, the other not.

The former said to a dominican who is fairly the same skin tone as me " "you know I thought you were haitian when I first saw you."

the other said " hell no!!!!!!!!! you sized him"

the two had a long argument about it. I wasn' there and thank God. But I heard that the other girl said that I was the prettiest haitian she'd ever seen. So I asked her later, "Aside from haitians that you've seen on tv, how many haitians have you seen?"

Of course I was the only haitian she knew. She ended up apologizing.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KOMPA! MAGAZINE Forum Index -> Let's Talk! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: