HMI Music NEWS and Discussions

AYIITI: THE 12 QUESTION "DISCOVERY" KOMPA MAGAZINE INTERVIEW!

AYIITI: THE 12 QUESTION "DISCOVERY" KOMPA MAGAZINE INTERVIEW!

Postby kompamagazine » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:12 am

AYIITI has the spotlight on her after releasing the song "Voodoo u do" recently. To get to the bottom of what makes the artist tick, and to find out more about her, KOMPA MAGAZINE gave her the ultimate 12 question KM Style interview. DISCOVER AYIITI the artist in this exclusive one on one. Check it out.

*VIDEO "Voodoo U Do"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRaEQwqzvmk

*AUDIO "Voodoo U Do"!
https://soundcloud.com/kompamagazine-co ... doo-you-do

*KOMPA MAGAZINE: 1) First and foremost, I must say that your name is such a catchy name. AYIITI...spelled with two i's. How did you come up with the idea for that name?
AYIITI: "Pragmatism really! My actual name is Ayiti, like the country, spelled in kreyol. I'm very proud of my name and decided to use it as my stage name. However i quickly realized that anyone searching "Ayiti" on the internet would mainly get results relating to tourism and whatnot. I wanted to keep the name and have more online visibility and my Instagram handle was already Ayiiti (because someone had already taken Ayiti when i joined), so i added an "i" to my stage name and there you have it!"

*KOMPA MAGAZINE: 2) Wow....That is actually your real name? Did you ever ask your Mom or Dad, why they named you after the country?
AYIITI: "I've asked and the answer is simple: they liked the name in and of itself, and my father loves and is proud of his country. I just got lucky."

*KOMPA MAGAZINE: 3) If you had to describe yourself to people that don't know who you are as an artist, what would you say?
AYIITI: "I have very diverse tastes in music and because I'm still only at the beginning of my career i have the opportunity to test and try until i figure out what works and what i like. I'm still a new artist, and i'm still finding my sound, which you might notice if you go on my soundcloud (http://www.soundcloud.com/ayiiti) you'll realize that. If you listen to my earliest work, you'll see that i've dabbled in various influences: electro-pop, pop-rock, ballads, bluesy songs... Then in my second release, entitled No Heartbreak i went a bit further into the alternative-pop route, and started adding being more experimental - with the song structures, the production, and by adding some french in one of the songs.

Right now, i've started a new project, starting with my song "Voodoo You Do"
My goal is to find a way to explore and exploit the richness of Haitian rhythms and cultures. We have so much to offer! I want the world to hear and realize that! "

*KOMPA MAGAZINE: 4) Are you worried that you might confuse many of your fans in terms of your musical identity because it varies in terms of styles? There's no guarantee for a fan that likes your new song, that you will follow in that same direction on your next release. Is that a concern of yours to think about or no?
AYIITI: "Of course it's a concern. But first of all, like i said this is a project i'm undertaking. I'm aiming for an EP of approximately six songs, all with following the same artistic direction as this latest single. Some will be more haitian, some less-so, but all with the same purpose: to bring the cool and sometimes unexpected aspects of haitian culture to the forefront.

Now in parallel to that project and after it, i will still be trying new genres and new things in order to appeal to as many publics as i can. I'm trying to bring something interesting, cool to my music, to get people's attention, and hopefully, they like what they hear enough to follow my evolution as an artist!"

*KOMPA MAGAZINE: 5) How did you get started in music? When did you realize that this is what you wanted to do?
AYIITI: "Been singing since i was a child. My first recital i was 6! I had the solo in "Petit Papa Noel". Took part in all my school productions. I always knew thats what i wanted to do."

*KOMPA MAGAZINE: 6) Do you listen to Haitian music if yes, name some of your favorite artists/bands and tell us what you like about them?
AYIITI: "In terms of konpa, I always liked Carimi and Mika Ben, I couldn't really tell you why... their music just spoke to me i suppose! Several times it happened that I would hear a song on the radio, turn it up, like it and only afterward find out it was them! haha.
More recently i really like what Badi Kamal and Medjy are bringing to the table, and really love J Perry's style and the positivity that radiates through his music.

Less popular genres of haitian music that i also like are traditional voodoo songs, and school yard songs, which my father used to sing to me growing up. Traditional melodies are so captivating and enchanting, and were a great introduction to the deeper culture of our country, while the schoolyard rhymes are fun and catchy... Actually, stay tuned for my next EP and you might just see precisely what i'm talking about!
But probably one of my favorite Haitian music is kanaval, more specifically the King Posse ones from the late 90's (i alway confuse the years)! The energy in their music is just so contagious, it just gets you going and dancing! I love it!"

*KOMPA MAGAZINE: 7) Haitian radio seems to get criticized a lot because A lot of people seem to think that they play more foreign songs then Haitian songs on the air. there seems to be a concern that we're losing our identity culturally, and that the young generation/youth in Haiti are probably more into Foreign music than that of our country. As an artist who is obviously influenced by different styles of music: where do you stand on that?
AYIITI: "Playing international hits is completely normal... So long as it does not take airtime away from Haitian artists, or take priority over Haitian music! We need to be our first promoters, and stand together with our own artists. Obviously radios want to play what is popular but they shouldn't forget that they themselves also have the power to make something popular! I hope they realize that their platform is crucial for us Haitian artists and we need their support! (I do know that several DJs - such as Steezy, make it a point to play music by Haitian artists, and i think that's dope and all Haitian radios should make it a point to promote haitian music!)"

*KOMPA MAGAZINE: 8) Name 3 of your musical idols and why.
AYIITI: "Uff there are so many! Tough question. (I know you said three but...) I can’t really pick one. There are so many amazing artists nowadays.

There are some alternative-rock bands i love and look up to, such as Panic! At The Disco and Fall Out Boy; they each have amazing lyrics and unique styles and were never afraid to experiment. I’ve followed them since my early teens and seen them evolve musically, in a way that kept them relevant and trendy in the market without ever losing their essence. I think that’s an amazing accomplishment in the music business.

And if i had to pick just one: Beyonce. All hail Queen B. I know it isn't the most original answer but i'm a nineties baby, so i've grown up with Destiny's Child, I knew every song of her solo album and watched her establish herself as music's queen supreme. She has mastered the art of entertainment on basically every level. In terms of skills, she dances as if it were nobody’s business, has a stage presence and voice to mesmerise you, and she continuously keeps the industry on their toes with her album concepts and innovative marketing strategies. She's been promoting girl power and feminism throughout her career and isn't afraid to take a stand for what she believes when it matters. And, on top of all that, despite being one of the most high profile celebrities in the world, in an era where celebrities constantly overshare, she’s managed to keep her private life private. Seriously... #flawless. Haha."

*KOMPA MAGAZINE: 9) Should an artist like yourself, or any other...get upset, or go with the flow, if you see that certain fans admire you for your beauty and sexiness? How do you handle that when you are trying to sell the music, but in the process the looks and sexiness get in the way?
AYIITI: "As an entertainer people will scrutinize the way you look. It's part of the job, and, truthfully, we all do it. So if they're admiring you for your beauty, why would you fight it? At least it's positive!

Now: you don't want appearance be the main focus. It should only be an attribute, an asset you use it in the way that best serves your purpose and your brand. But if people are attracted to your looks and that gets them paying attention to your art, all the better for you!"

*KOMPA MAGAZINE: 10) Your idol in life and why? Only 1 person.
AYIITI: "My father. Because of his work ethic. Because of his devotion to his family and generosity towards those he loves. Because of his vision, determination, and optimism in everything he undertakes. Because he teaches me everyday to never do something half-assed, and to always always always stay moving forward!"

*KOMPA MAGAZINE: 11) How did that song come about, and what made you take it in that direction lyrically...VOODOO U DO!
AYIITI: "I don't think people understand how much i mean it when i say this song pretty much wrote itself! Hahah. Honestly the beat was the driving force behind it. Pipo Beat made the track and I just knew then and there that i wanted a strong concept about feeling enchanted and entransed... Because the music is so powerful on that track that it feels like it takes over you and you can't help but dance!

I also wanted it to have a Haitian touch to it. Vaudou is a very strong part of our culture and i knew if i included it in the song, we could make a video to showcase the beautiful aspects and aesthetics of Vaudou that many people don't know. From there I came up with the title idea for "Voodoo You Do." Then while we were jamming, listening to the track the hook just came to me out of nowhere; I just started singing it and Pipo just said "that's it we got a hook!". And once we had that hook and concept locked down, i just wrote the rest of the lyrics around it and there you have it!"

*KOMPA MAGAZINE: 12) 3 separate words that best describe WHO AYIITI is in terms of the person...and give us a line or 2 to back up each of the 3 words.
AYIITI: "Determined/strong willed. When i start or decide that i want something i always see it through.

Loyal. I find that it is one of the most underrated qualities nowadays, but i guess you could say i'm the ride or did type. But if you know me you know that when i say ive got your back i really do!

Optimistic. I always try to see the glass half full and keep in mind that all setbacks or problems are temporary and can be overcome. I think it's important to always, always be forward!"

*Conducted by PATRICK DESVARIEUX for KOMPAMAGAZINE.COM!

kompamagazine
Site Admin

MUSIC