HMI Music NEWS and Discussions

Roger M. Eugene, Shoubou still a shining star

Roger M. Eugene, Shoubou still a shining star

Postby shah » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:49 pm

For the millennia youths who may not know or think much of our popular music, here is a name to google: Roger M. Eugene aka Shoubou, the face of the legendary band Tabou Combo for over four decades.

The 1960s were the years when Kompa Direk really emerged, stained and influenced the french Caribbean islands and some french speaking parts of the continent of Africa, Nemours Jean Baptiste, and Webert Sicot were the patriarch of such era. Back then Shoubou was a teenager like his childhood friend and competitor Jean Elie Telfort (Cubano) of SkahShah. They are both native of Port-De-Paix in the North West part of Haiti.

Roger M. Eugene is a natural born artist who recognized and knew at a young age regardless of what the Haitian society or his parents thought of musicians, he decided to become one and succeeded at it. So after over 40 years of non-stop success touring the world and recording albums after albums, he is still around today to teach the millennia musicians how it's done.

Although Shoubou was huge then but Cubano and Shoubou were always in the crosshairs in comparison by the fans. Their names to this date seem to be intertwined and become an instant conversation by many. Wether Cubano was a member of my favorite Skahshah or not I always knew that Shoubou was also a great front-man, performer and as iconic as Cubano. There is no need to extrapolate the contribution of Shoubou in the HMI, just ask any Haitian baby boomer then there will be a long story of narration vis-a-vis Shoubou. Shoubou like Cubano made an insurmountable impact that no front-man in the industry today can claim to equalize and maybe never, no pun intended. I am just keeping it real like the youths say.

From 1968 to present, while our music is in decline now, Shoubou, and Tabou Combo with international hit and classic songs like "Mabouya", NYC, Besse ba, Bebe paramount etcetera will forever be the only band that attempted to cross over our music on the international market.

After all said and done, Shoubou and Tabou Combo deserve a pantheon to be erected on their behalves in the motherland which will symbolize unity and tenacity in the industry. So Shoubou if you happen to read these lines, just know that I always appreciate you from the days of "Bebe Paramount" to "Polone" and thank you for lasting as long as you have. Cheers!

Written by Jason Accime aka Shah

Attachments
Shoubou2.jpg
Shoubou2.jpg (79.83 KiB) Viewed 3510 times
shah

Re: Roger M. Eugene, Shoubou still a shining star

Postby Big VALBOSKI » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:08 pm

Shah,
Kudos to you for a well written post. I am positive that Shoubou will truly appreciate it. He is the epitome of what a Konpa singer should be. That is what you call a gifted singer and frontman. May God continue to bless and protect him.
Big VALBOSKI

Postby Dj 1 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:55 pm

Well said my brother! While we at it, what is RIGHT? koMpa....koNpa....Compas (original).
Dj 1

Postby shah » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:01 am

Thanks all for the nice replies.
Kompa, konpa , that's kreyol but compas is the French version. There is no known unanimity as far as the kreyol version is concerned how to write it. It's up to a respective individual.
shah

Postby 1Lov' » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:27 am

So well done my brother..
I really enjoyed reading this piece..
Thanks KM for allowing such a wonderful writer like SHAH..
Cesaire-Conde-Ceide Guitar Asylum, NYC District
1Lov'

Postby Neg Timid » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:49 am

Well said my brother! While we at it, what is RIGHT? koMpa....koNpa....Compas (original).
Nan lang Kreyòl la gen 10 vwayèl ke nou sanse rele 10 manman son: a, an, e, è, en, i, o, ò, on, ou. Sèt (7) ladan yo rele vwayèl bouch (remake ke ou pwononse yo nan bouch ou) : a, e, è, i, o, ò, ou. Twa (3) lòt yo rele vwayèl nen (yo pwononse tankou w'ap pale nan nen tankou Gede Nibo) : an, en, on.

Tout Konpa ki ekri kon sa: Compas, Kompa... pa vrè mo Kreyòl ki defini mizik nou menm Ayisyen tande avèk danse a. Règ lèt M devan P avèk B pa egziste an Kreyòl. Kidonk si n'ap ekri Konpa an Kreyòl, n'ap sèvi avèk "on" ki se youn nan vwayèl nen yo, pou n ekri : Konpa Dirèk.

@ Shah

Trè bèl rale kòm dabitid.

NT
Facebook/: Les Jean-Philippe
Neg Timid

Postby SIROMYEL » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:01 pm

This is nice,

but I Would have rather had an expose on SHOUBOU, exclusive of CUBANO.

I know they evolved during the same time period and were competitors, but nevertheless they each stand on their own.

For instance, if 20 years from now someone is writing an expoze on Richie, I sure hope they won't do it as compared to Arlie Lariviere or vice versa.

Got me?
SIROMYEL

Postby shah » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:28 pm

This is nice,

I know they evolved during the same time period and were competitors, but nevertheless they each stand on their own.

For instance, if 20 years from now someone is writing an expoze on Richie, I sure hope they won't do it as compared to Arlie Lariviere or vice versa.

Got me?
The two cases you mentioned are different because Skahshah and Tabou Combo will always be greater than Klass and Nulook because how they elevated Kompa Direk. Cubano is a front man just like Shoubou as opposed to Richie who is a maestro of a band just like Arly. However, Arly is now the front man of his band.

You got me?
shah

Postby SIROMYEL » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:30 pm

This is nice,

Got me?
The two cases you mentioned are different because Skahshah and Tabou Combo will always be greater than Klass and Nulook because how they elevated Kompa Direk. Cubano is a front man just like Shoubou as opposed to Richie who is a maestro of a band just like Arly. However, Arly is now the front man of his band.

You got me?

OK... I don't mean to get into it. But in no way was I trying to compare CLASS/NU LOOK V. SKASHA/TABOU COMBO.

My point Is specifically to discourage what you again, took great care to do in your response to me.

If you are taking your time to write a piece about an artist (regardless of the capacity in which they evolved), I think it should focus more on highlighting that person and his/her achievements and impact, as opposed to comparing that person to their competitor of the same era.

If this piece is about SHOUBOU, let's talk about SHOUBOU. I can appreciate a mention of Cubano, since one can argue the two are intricately linked. However, this whole piece seems to be comparing the two artists.

If this was intended to be a comparison piece I apologize... but the title does not indicate that.
SIROMYEL

Postby shah » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:35 pm

Siromyel,
That's not a comparison my dear. I only mentioned Cubano as a competitor of the same era just to educate the youngsters of today, in case they have no idea what I am talking about. The whole piece for the most part is about Shoubou. I can see your point as well. I am also and sincerely thanking you for reading this piece. Your argument is well founded also a testimony of your reading. Thank you.
shah

MUSIC