HMI Music NEWS and Discussions

10 MOST INFLUENTIAL HMI BANDS OF ALL TIME by FABRICE ROUZIER

10 MOST INFLUENTIAL HMI BANDS OF ALL TIME by FABRICE ROUZIER

Postby kompamagazine » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:19 pm

We asked FABRICE ROUZIER the following question below...check out what he told us. READ BELOW.

*KOMPA MAGAZINE: If I were to ask you to name the 10 MOST Influential BANDS in the HMI of all time...what would be your list, and tell me why...in terms of what they brought to the GAME

FABRICE ROUZIER's list is below:

*1. ISSA EL SAIEH. With his musicianship and the caliber of people he collaborated with, he influenced EVERYBODY , even the creators of Konpa. He also left a golden legacy for Haitian music worldwide. The famous cuban pianist Bebo Valdez called the ISSA SAIEH orchestra, the best band in the caribbean.

* 2. DJAZZ DES JEUNES. This is in my book, one if not the best Haitian band ever. The harmonies, the mix of folklore and modern harmonies the clever creations.

* 3. Nemours Jean Baptiste, Richard Duroseau and Webert Sicot: Notice I put the three in one category. They defined the konpa / cadence rampas genre and are probably the biggest influence on 4 generations of musicians.

* 4. Shleu Shleu. This is one of the institution that gave konpa some of its most revered creations and some of its most brilliant musicians : Tony Moise, Cubano, Zouzoule, Smith Jean Baptiste, Serge Rosenthal, Loubert Chancy, Ti Frere....The two guitars and a sax format copied so many times...

* 5. Ibo Combo. The masters of harmony. The band that ruled the late 60s and pretty much was the benchmark for the early Tabou, Difficiles and everyone else. The fantastic school that revealed to us Jose Tavernier, Boulo Valcourt, Michel and Jean Jean Laraque, Pantal or Reginald Policard.

* 6. Les Difficiles de Petion-Ville. One name : Robert Martino. This man became a demi-God for so many aspiring musicians/ guitarists in Haiti and the US diaspora. His fusion of rock and caribbean cliches are still copied by everyone.

* 7. Tabou Combo. Is there really anything to say about this group. The vision completely different from what was happening at the time, the clothes, the logo, the hits ! Everybody tried to copy what they were doing, but no one really came close except for DP Express maybe...

* 8. Skah Shah. I could have easily put them in my Shleu Shleu ranking but the transformation that occurred when these gentlemen moved to the US made their product a novelty on its own. The brass arrangements ( courtesy of the genius Dernst Emile sometimes ) the guitar duo, the drums, the vocals and the stellar pianists ( Jean Alcindor and Richard Duroseau...again ). One of my biggest influences.

* 9. Les Frères Déjean. Andre, Fred, Camille, Philippe and Lionel put together a family band that has the most unique sound in Konpa outside of Coupe Cloue. They had the genius of recruiting some youngsters that would become also icons in their own rights. Guitars : Reginald Benjamin, Polis Nozile or Reynold Nader. Bass : Ernst Vincent , Josue Fortune. Drums : Tuco Bouzi or Ramponeau. Vocals : Harold Joseph, Isnard Douby or Yvon Louissaint. This band is to this day the favorite haitian band in the french antilles and was the backbone of a lot of productions from over there.

* 10. Magnum Band. This is, just like Dejean, one of the most unique sounding group in Haitian Music history. Just like Dejean, they made it a trend to "modernize" traditional haitian songs. It helps that its founders, Dadou and Tico Pasquet, had notable past experiences with Raoul Guillaume, Les Gypsies , Les Freres Dejean or Tabou Combo. The Pasquet brothers also have a very famous uncle: Legendary crooner Dodof Legros. Magnum has left us a considerable volume of infectious grooves filled with indicate harmonies. Magnum, to me, is the gold standard when it comes to presenting the best of Haitian rhythms.

VOILA! *Please put this disclaimer*. It is my choice not the gospel. I realize that not putting Bossa, Zekle, Septent, Tropic, Djet-X or DP ( All bands that i absolutely love ) in there will create some tension but i'm confortable with my choice. I'd love to read some of the other choices from contributors or musicians."

KM!

kompamagazine
Site Admin

Re: 10 MOST INFLUENTIAL HMI BANDS OF ALL TIME by FABRICE ROUZIER

Postby shah » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:17 pm

Mwen dako avek chwa min mwen tap ranje yo nan yon lot fason. Bon chwa.
shah

Postby jay_nice360 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:25 pm

Maeatro Fabrice, patap ka gen yon pi bon chwa ke w fè la a. Apwouveeeeeeee

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
jay_nice360

Postby SIROMYEL » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:56 pm

All great picks.

I wish coupe cloue could have made it in there.

But at least I got TABOU, in my opinion the best Haitian band of all time; And it's a humble opinion, since it's based only on the ones I've been exposed to.
SIROMYEL

Postby Ernst » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:08 pm

Great piece. This guy is a true student of the HMI. I think it should be top 20. Kité Coupé Cloué, Tropic/Septen deyò a di wi. Also, System Band could have make the list 2. Once again, great piece. Enjoy reading it
Ernst

Postby Hkompa » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:25 am

Gadon lis tet CHaje. Dako ak lejand lan 100 pou 100
Hkompa

Postby Ladykreyol » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:40 am

I have to admit Fabrice's list is well thought out and very hard to dispute but my personal list would have included Zekle :D

Good job Fabrice.

I would love to read other musician's top 10.

Keep them coming Pat.
Ladykreyol

Postby Futur Ex » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:57 am

Well done!
Futur Ex

Postby kompared » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:51 pm

Great choices.

I would put SKAHA SHAH after Nemours. May be I am biased. SKAH SHAH is the best konpa band ever
kompared

Postby KingDave » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:27 pm

Bon! Mwen pa gen anyen poum di non. Se aprann m ka aprann seulement parce que mwen potko konnen sim ta fêt leu djaz sa yo te en vogue, d'ailleurs, mwen pat menm konnen tout menm. But with the little knowledge I have listening to my parents and personal researxh, I would put djet X in there definitely but again... great ranking Fabrice
#BlackExcellence
KingDave

MUSIC