HMI Music NEWS and Discussions

ENPEKAB "DA FUTURE": KOMPA MAGAZINE CD REVIEW!

ENPEKAB "DA FUTURE": KOMPA MAGAZINE CD REVIEW!

Postby kompamagazine » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:02 am

SONG BY SONG CD REVIEW of ENPEKAB's "DA FUTURE" CD. Read Below.

*DA FUTURE: The kickoff track talks about some of the problems facing the industry (Atis kap mouri pauv...Pwoblem La Releve), and the consequences waiting if certain things don't change. A catchy CD opener to get you in the mood for the rest of the CD. Features a guest appearance by rapper/fashion sensation Kow Kow.

*MWEN RENMEN W: FIRST LISTEN....TOU GOL. I found myself asking why THIS SONG was not the first music video released off the CD. COMMERCIAL and CATCHY...very easy to get into and to remember. THIS BETTER BE THE NEXT MUSIC VIDEO if the group wants to take immediate advantage of a song that has a lot of potential to put a great spotlight on the group. PS: I would've preferred STRONGER background vocals on this track to back up this kick ass song.....nevertheless, MY FAVORITE SONG ON THE CD.

*ILLUSION: The song that the NEW music video was made for...and I also like this song very much...ESPECIALLY THAT KEYBOARD PART. Maestro/Keyboardist "DWET MEDAM YO" in full spotlight mode on this track.....as his part is the one that stands out THE MOST for me on this track. SE JE FEMEN 2 BRA ANLE when that keyboard part comes on. Overall one of the better songs on the CD in my opinion.

*MWEN DAKO: "TOUT SA OU MANDE M CHERIE....Eske w vle m RALENTI....Mwen Dako" (Ok then...will leave it up to you to figure out what the scenario is about. A VERY SENSUAL song to say the least. There's a little part in there that slows down the momentum of the song...but it makes you appreciate the GOUYAD PART even more when it comes on right after that. BEL "KOD" (Guitars) on this track....and a funny part "CHERIE LEVE SOU MWEN....OU FOUT LOU)....hopefully ALL LADIES find the humor in that one.

*CHWA JENES: Mayi Moulin guitar on that song caught my attention. This is the song that will most likely appeal to the Compas "PURISTS". Love the swing of this song. I assume that RES LA POU BAL because I thought the song ended too quickly...either that or I was enjoying the song so much that time just flew by without me realizing it on this one.

*MWEN FATIGUE: One of the songs that came out months ago. I really thought this track was going to score huge for the group...not sure what happened with that one. Still sounds good in my ears listening to it NOW.

*STUCK ON MY MIND: NICE SONG that has the unfortunate position of having 3 or 4 other SLOW JAMS that are better/catchier on the CD. In my opinion, because of that, it MIGHT get lost in the shuffle because the other songs will get the fans' attention.....unless the band decides to make a surprise move by putting the focus on this one with a music video BEFORE the others. A very nice song that DESERVES attention....whether it's going to get that chance....that's another story.

*SOU KE M: Black Alex impersonator to start off the song. Keeping it real, I don't see myself pressing the rewind button or play button too much for that matter on this one. Kite l mache. Li pa vraiment rive sou mwen.

*PASYANS: WHOEVER SINGS THIS SONG.......BRAVO. The voice on this track holds you from beginning to end with the emotion displayed on the track. The music is also on point...until it loses the great momentum in the middle of the song....only to regain it again towards the end of the song. MELODY ON POINT.....I like this one a lot.

*SUPERWOMAN feat. JBEATZ: A song released a long time ago by the group featuring hit producer JBeatz.

*OU GASPIYE L: PREVIOUSLY RELEASED....Girl mistreated by her man/lover as explained by the singer, they are no longer in a relationship....therefore the song title. Sad story well put together to nice song. You get the feeling as if you are reading a book or watching a movie, simply in the way that the song is being narrated by the vocalist throughout the track. Excellent.

*LEADER: "Ou paka pale pou mwen.....ou paka deside pou mwen"...in what seems to be a shot at the different leaders in the country. The keyboard is on fire on this track....the African guitar part as well. While the words are eye opening, and the music is cool.....I can't help but think that this song is what you call a "CD SONG"....a song that you don't really expect is going to do too much for the band....other than being a solid cool track ON THE CD.

*FAVORITE SONGS: "Mwen renmen w", "Mwen Dako", "Stuck on my mind" "Pasyans", "Chwa Jenes", "Mwen fatigue".

*LEAST FAVORITE SONG: I am not really a big fan of "Sou Ke m".

*WARNING: If Enpekab is trying to appeal to the hardcore compas demographic, the only song they have for THAT department is the excellent "Chwa Jenes", which makes you wonder why they did not do another one along the same lines...especially for LIVE SHOWS. I love the song "DA FUTURE"....but it's more of a hipper/fresher/younger uptempo. It would not have hurt to add another NEW uptempo song on there...even if it meant having to drop one of the previously released songs.

*FINAL WORD: For a debut CD, I believe that ENPEKAB deliver enough goods on there to get the music lover's attention. MWEN GARANTI KE WAP JWEN AT LEAST YON MIZIK SOU CD SA KE OU RINMIN. I do absolutely believe that this upcoming group CAN become an IMPORTANT PLAYER in the NYC market, especially given the state of where most of the local bands are in right now...and the HMI market for that matter if they keep on grinding....without letting the usual roadblocks get in their way. KEEP KNOCKING ON THE DOOR...UNTIL "THEY" HAVE NO CHOICE but to DEAL WITH YOU!

IT'S VERY CLEAR that the group's forte is in the SLOW/Mid-tempo department, and they have a few songs in there that will satisfy your appetite in that department. Worried that a couple will get lost in the shuffle though.

PS: Keep an eye on keyboardist/maestro "DWET MEDAM YO" Kervin Bazile.....talented brother.

CONGRATS ENPEKAB....I enjoyed the CD, and there are a couple of REWIND BUTTON FAVORITES on there for sure. SEE YOU out there in HMI land. The CD certainly got my attention for me to keep an eye on what the group is doing.

KM!

kompamagazine
Site Admin

MUSIC