HMI Music NEWS and Discussions

FANFAN TI BOT: Why I made the switch from CONGAS to VOCALIST

FANFAN TI BOT: Why I made the switch from CONGAS to VOCALIST

Postby kompamagazine » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:32 pm

TABOU legend FANFAN TI BOT explains to us how/why he made the with from CONGAS PLAYER to the "BAN DEVAN" of TABOU COMBO.

*KOMPA MAGAZINE: How EASY or HARD was it for you to make the transition from CONGAS PLAYER to vocalist or 2nd vocalist if u will
Did u do it out of necessity or because you just wanted a change?
FANFAN TI BOT: "Well ! it just came instantly as I wrote "Aux Antilles" and I felt that could sing the verse. I did and it became an instant success. I remember the first time I sang solo it was in Queens. I was in heaven. Also Reynald the actual conga player was helping me form time to time, as I was attending City College, so I gave him the gig."

*KOMPA MAGAZINE: LOOOOOOOOL You made the decision RIGHT THERE you are NOT going back to the CONGAS? LOL
FANFAN TI BOT: "Well its not really going back. I love playing congas, in fact I still have a very expensive pair of congas at my house. I still play."

*KOMPA MAGAZINE: AT HOME....NOT on stage though...can you remember the last time you played the congas in Tabou...THE WHOLE GIG?
FANFAN TI BOT: "I remember playing the congas at Karibe in Haiti during the Bal du President when Michel was President . December 2014. I always play when all the old members are playing together. My hands are kind of soft now. I need mucho practice."

KM!

kompamagazine
Site Admin

MUSIC