HMI Music NEWS and Discussions

ERICK CHARLES REMEMBERED BY FABRICE ROUZIER (READ INTERVIEW)

ERICK CHARLES REMEMBERED BY FABRICE ROUZIER (READ INTERVIEW)

Postby kompamagazine » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:01 pm

We spoke to Mizik Mizik maestro FABRICE ROUZIER about ERICK CHARLES. Check it out.

*KOMPA MAGAZINE: Fabrice, if you had to describe Eric in 1 word, what would it be and why?
FABRICE: "Generosity. Erick never conditioned his work or relationship on monetary basis. It was always about the music and the vibes. He also never based his efforts to help someone on popularity or age. Whether you were a complete unknown or a superstar, Eric helped out whole heartedly and unconditionally."

*KOMPA MAGAZINE: Do you recall the very first time you met ERICK Charles? What did you think of him as a person, and what made you decide that he was the right guy to lead Mizik Mizik on stage?
FABRICE: "I was a fan from the get go. I was with Tabou in the early 90s when i was offered to do DP's last album. I was, unfortunately, too busy with TC at the time. I loved the result though and i absolutely loved the lead singer that sounded eerily like Ti Manno. I first met him via Choupitte Jacquet. I was also in the first version of Super Stars Music Machine and i was very curious to find out who would be picked to replace Michel Batista and Felix Cumbe....Eric was the choice and he blew me away. Choupitte wanted us to approach him when we were doing Mizik Mizik in 1993 but i was against going after a singer from an established band. He used to hang out at our rehearsals at Ibo Lele sometimes.

Our story really started when we had a St Marc gig, and both Manno and Vardy were unavailable. We originally decided to go without a lead singer and Choupitte convinced me to go pick him up for the gig at his house in Nazon. I remember going down with Choupitte and asking him. He just grabbed a shirt and jumped in the car. He knew none of our songs but listened to a cassette on the way in between jokes and stories. When we got there, the "Kay Pè Yoyo" club was filled to the rim with fans. When Eric stepped out of the car, it was pandemonium ! It was no longer the Mizik Mizik show but the Eric and whatever band show....He improvised on pretty much all of our songs and saved our butts...The rest as they say is history. I gained a brother that day that i unfortunately lost two days ago.."

*KOMPA MAGAZINE: It is my opinion that ERICK CHARLES should get more PROPS for what he has done in the industry in his career. Do you believe he has; and if not, how much of that do you attribute to him NOT being seen as a typical SPOTLIGHT HOGGING, BOASTING "I am THE MAN" front man that characterizes the makeup of the role nowadays?
FABRICE: "I agree with you but sadly as my MAGNUM BAND friends would say : " Barik vid fè plis bri! ". Even if he did not receive the proper accolades during his time on earth, his contributions are undeniable and will have long lasting effects on everyone he shared even the tiniest moment with."

*KOMPA MAGAZINE: Your MOST MEMORABLE ERICK CHARLES moment ON STAGE and OFF STAGE?
FABRICE: "So many. Seeing this guy control thousands of fans during carnival and having them do his trademark : "Yon Ti kouri...". Witnessing his capacity to improvise on cue and create new hooks with Choupitte WHILE we perform. Being in his presence when he unselfishly coaches a novice Ti Joe Zenny about to record his first kanaval....Watching him from my keyboard win over jam packed audiences in Japan during our tour. Admiring him when he was chosen to front Magnum Band, Jazz des Jeunes or Tropicana. Being filled with pride when he was leading countless superstars during our Haiti Twoubadou shows... I'm going to miss him so much...."

KM!

kompamagazine
Site Admin

Re: ERICK CHARLES REMEMBERED BY FABRICE ROUZIER (READ INTERVIEW)

Postby Romdes » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 am

Oh man man man, Nou pedi yon gro potorik gason wi Mr Pat. Mwen sonje sa Li fè Avek Black Alex nan Kanaval LEVE PYEW!!!! Oh lord barbancour time for me again. RIP and may God save his soul, great words from his band mates FR.
Romdes

Postby Ernst » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:07 pm

Mwen koumanse tande Eric depi lè li te nan Siro de Miragoane but se nan DP Express misye fè mwen yon fanatik li. I remember listening to that DP album in my dad radio K-7. The guy was great. Also, during the rivalry with Micky, this guy was untouchable. A true talent has left us.
Ernst

Postby Gaston Le St-Ardien » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:08 pm

Ané 2015 ak 2016 genlè vini pou atis nou yo. Epa de twa gro atis ki tombé non. An nou mande Bondié pitié pou atis nou yo ki pati trop vite. Sad news for the HMI. Rest in Peace Erick Charles.
Gaston Le St-Ardien

MUSIC