HMI Music NEWS and Discussions

MIA LOPEZ: 13 QUESTIONS on the HMI (Bands + MORE)!

MIA LOPEZ: 13 QUESTIONS on the HMI (Bands + MORE)!

Postby kompamagazine » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:17 pm

MIA LOPEZ is a well known and respected HMI personality who has been in the business for many many years. The public relations guru puts that hat to the side today in her interview with Kompa Magazine...and drops the HMI bible...UNCENSORED....as a fan and observer in the business. You don't want to miss this no-holds barred interview below. 13 QUESTIONS....13 Very interesting answers on different bands + MORE! ENJOY!

1) KOMPA MAGAZINE: In your opinion what is the best move for former Carimi vocalist Mickael to make as his next career step. Create his own band, or join another band?
Mia Lopez: Mickael has been the front man of a band that he helped create for over 15 years... he has a resume that far exceeds many in the industry because of the level of success that CaRiMi was able to reach. Think about it this way Bill Gates would never go and join Pepsi just like that right? He's Bill Gates! Well Mickael is Mickael, his identify and musical reference is CaRiMi and for fans like me Kdans too.... but the platform he's at, if he really wants to come back to music he would have to do it on his own and not try to fit in to another band. He's Mickael Guirand. Would Shoubou do that? Would King Kino? Would Gazzman? It's ok for everyone to know their value and know their worth, don't ever forget the empire you built by going to work for someone else."

2) KOMPA MAGAZINE: Carlo Vieux joining 5 LAN....are you feeling it or not? Are you FOR or AGAINST it?
Mia Lopez: Hmmmmmm.... this is Mia the music fan and not Mia Lopez of M.I.A. Media speaking, let's be clear on that. Carlo has the same musical success as Mickael and Richard. They are three equally powerful musicians in all levels, they all can write, can sing, can lead and they are all great to look at - that's a deadly combination. Carlo could have killed it in his own band and never had to try to be a jigsaw puzzle piece for 5Lan. It's a great move for 5Lan because they acquired a musical gem, but for Carlo I would of made special appearances here and there but never signed on as an additional member of any band."

3) KOMPA MAGAZINE: The biggest hit circulating the streets of the HMI today according to you is....?
Mia Lopez: Some people may say I'm biased but remember this is Mia the music fan speaking. This Benyen craze has really left me speechless. I knew when I heard the song the fact that after 10min of walking around the house I was still singing the hook, I knew Harmonik had a hit, but the fans have taken it to the next level. Right now everything is about Kanaval because ofcourse we are in that season but Pat there's no doubt that this Benyen epidemic is still all over.

Think about it this way, in the same week there were about 3 singles released at the same time, and yet it's Benyen that has created memes, jokes, soundbytes and even impromptu stripteases on stages across the US and Haiti.... just answering the question now map chante'l LOL the community is going to have perfect Hygiene for another few months until the next hit song comes up."

4) KOMPA MAGAZINE: If I ask you to choose one song... Tell me your favorite from the Harmonik CD and why.
Mia Lopez: I know most people would assume it's Benyem but Pat Incroyable is my favorite, with a few honorable mentioned like Simplicite and Imparfait, but Incroyable has this way of speaking to a woman's soul. Listen, one thing I learned a long time ago about Harmonik is that they know how to create songs for women. They have songs that are poetic, that make women close their eyes and imagine their man speaking to them those exact same words. Their songs make women feel like women, attractive, wanted, passionate and valued. Incroyable is the type of song that a woman would get mad at her man for not singing to her. lol I love it!"

5) KOMPA MAGAZINE: If I ask you to choose one song... Tell me your favorite from the T-Vice CD and why.
Mia Lopez: T-Vice is album is equally good and I can't tell you this I'm so proud to see them get out of their shell and collaborate with other artists and add a different vibe to their album, but what I love about TVice is their groove. I mean Pat you hear a Roberto guitar solo and you have to close your eyes and feel the vibe. When that beat drops boom you know you are in TVice land.

That's why Back 2 da Groove is one of my favorites. It brings me back to that TVice that I grew up in this community listening to when Sakapfet.com first started. Those keyboard solos and that guitar - man they are hypnotic! When you've had a rough day and you're driving home in Miami traffic.... Back 2da groove will have you dancing in the driver's sea... ou pap menm sonje ou nan traffic wap transporte nan yon dancefloor ap vibe net!"

6) KOMPA MAGAZINE: ENPOSIB...How do you see them in the HMI in terms of success in the next few years? Can their debut cd do the trick? Mia Lopez: Enposib.... I am a fan of their album... most definately a fan of their album. I know every word to almost every song, but.... for me their stage presence lacks. It's kind of how people thought about Kdans or Tvice or Harmonik when they first began. They are still fresh and young. Enposib is under a microscope, people analyzing and stuff to see what they have to offer. When I've seen them perform, only 3 times, they play the album, maybe one or two interpretations and they are good because the album is good, but does an album really make you last in this business alone? As a real music fan, I have to feel something when you're on stage. You have to connect to your fans, you have to leave a piece of you on stage every night. I haven't gotten that yet from them. There are no extensive ad-libs on their songs, there are no extensions that make me want to sing the club version of Domino because it's almost the same as the album version.

A group to find longevity here has to entice the crowd, they have to be personable and accessible. It seems like it's just business with them, get on stage sing our songs and say goodnight. I want to have an experience when I go to an Enposib bal and that only comes with time, practice, and of course mass exposure - they are on their way and trust me they aren't going anywhere."

7) KOMPA MAGAZINE: DAT 7... A lot of hype on the band first started. Why haven't they blown up in the market?
Mia Lopez: Now Patrick how long have we known each other? 15-16 years? And how long have we been in this business? Come on... everyone knows that Dat7 is a group made up of AMAZING musicians. Come on... Olivier Duret? I mean no one can point one finger to say one thing that is wrong with him as a musician? And the rest of the group is so good, the guys should be doing super well but again this is the HMI. A place of wanna be loyalty and invisible rules that you aren't supposed to break.

Their album is good, their innovation is good, their stage presence is good - no one can argue that, but promoters and other bands don't see their music they see expats that jumped ship at one point or another. The HMI is like a fraternity whether people want to believe it or not and no matter how hard you try it's impenetrable if others don't let you in. I don't even know how to get them to blow up in the market because they have a great recipe it's just that the kitchen is closed. It's sad but if I know TiEddie, Vlad and Olivier I don't think they will stop trying because they know their value and like all musicians music is in their blood. I play the album often and enjoy their music, a lot of people do, but is that enough?"

8) KOMPA MAGAZINE: In your opinion the band that has the most ladies in terms of fan base in the business is....
Mia Lopez: That's a funny one because nowadays I see mostly men in front of groups like Klass... Disip and NuLook... even in Aux Cayes once; Klass was playing and this group of men pushed me out of the way to get infront of the stage. Right now for me it's Harmonik . The times I've seen them perform recently it's ALL women upfront. I mean ladies flocking trying to make eye contact. Tempted to touch and ready to sing their hearts out to MacD."

9) KOMPA MAGAZINE: The band with the best ratio fan base in terms of hardcore Compas fans...and the ones that like the softer/less hardcore Compas direct style is....
Mia Lopez: Klass.... definently for that hardcore Compas and that softer less hardcore ladies fans... they have a great balance. You will see a diversity at a Klass bal because the guys kill it on stage. NuLook is up there with them though because even though Arly serves up some great sex appeal and ladies choice nominations on stage, he has these hardcore male fans that crown him King awry everytime.... so it's a toss up for me."

10) KOMPA MAGAZINE: Lots of people like to preach that famous phrase "L'union Fait la force"... Yet in the HMI community it's usually everyone for themselves. With so many talented LADIES in the business in terms of vocalists....WHY has the industry failed to serve up a LADIES GROUP... Do you must be quite a few in the ZOUK and African markets...why is it not happening with our ladies? They all seem to want to have that solo approach. Hey since someone like you could put something like that together.
Mia Lopez: You know Pat... Mwen se yon timoun saj ki fe respe Mwen.... I know how to do something and I focus on what I know lol there will be no putting anything together for me. But that's an amazing question and I would love for you to ask the Boys Club that question and ask them to answer honestly.

When I was a kid there was Riske, TiCorn, Carol Demesmin, Emeline and even Jocelyn to look at and say "I love women's vocal power". Now in my generation there was Misty Jean, Tifane, Nia and a few others, yet we have never been able to outshine the boys. It's not because the women don't have what it takes, it goes back to the same answer as the Dat7 question, this industry is capitalized by and made up of a fraternity. You have to really work harder then you should to hang with the boys. You have to respect yourself and think as a businesswoman not as a woman trying to do business. There's a big difference there.

For some L'Union Fait la Force are just words on a flag we like to throw around as propaganda but we both know that there are only a chosen few who believe that unified we are stronger and put it to practice. I know many songstresses that want to take their place in the HMI, the community is big enough for everyone Pat, maybe it's time for the men to make space for women and see how much further the community and the industry as a whole will get if they make room for them.

You have groups like Bel that tried to stake their claim and Manmzel too that actually created an entire Compas band, I had high hopes for them but I've come to realize Pat that you can be as talented as you want to be but the HMI is powered by almost the same 16-20 people running around sharing their opinions and creating an internal buzz and boom you are out of the loop, so it can only change when those people who want to build up the HMI stop trying to destroy it at the same time."

11) KOMPA MAGAZINE: From your perspective; currently in the market who do you think are the top three most popular groups?
Mia Lopez: Klass... Nu Look... and the 3rd one is a loophole because you can win with anyone of them. 5Lan is gaining so much momentum right now but I'm not sure if it's sustainable momentum... but Harmonik, Kai and Tvice are kinda in the same category to round out the 3 for me...."

12) KOMPA MAGAZINE: In your opinion how has Gazzman Disip done with the momentum given to the group by the success of their current cd? Have they taken full advantage, or do you think it's just a temporary boost?
Mia Lopez: Let me be honest for me as a music fan Disip has one of THE best albums out right now. Have you ever had an album that you can play all the way through and never skip through one song? That's the No Skip syndrome - "Klere" to us definently a No Skip Album. It's amazing. But Gazzman went through one of the most devastating losses at the debut of the album with the loss of his mom. Imagine Pat you've worked on something for 2 years, gave it your blood, sweat and tears and boom at your highest point of excitement you get hit with the death of the most influential person in your life. I think that's when the momentum faltered for him. Even in the business it was felt.

Unfortunately when you don't strike the steel when it's hot you can't manipulate it the way you want to. But if you speak to real music fans they will tell you that album is one of the best, you can't deny it musically man you just can't. But the group has really been working to come right back up and meet the demand and they aren't doing bad non.... they are staying up there as they should."

13) KOMPA MAGAZINE: The 3 musicians that you RESPECT the most in the business....why?
Mia Lopez: 3 only? That's hard because all the musicians I know have my utmost respect. Pat it's hard being so talented and making a name for yourself in this business. From lead singers to drummers to gongists it takes a lot to make it here. So 3 names out of the blue is so hard for me LOL."

Conducted by Patrick Desvarieux

kompamagazine
Site Admin

Re: MIA LOPEZ: 13 QUESTIONS on the HMI (Bands + MORE)!

Postby konpaconvert » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:25 am

WOW WOW WOW *Chapo Ba* to KM for this interview...thoroughly enjoyed reading this piece.

First thing that needs to be mentioned is that it is truly refreshing to hear from a TRUE HMI Insider about the state of the bands and industry vs. hearing from these so-called promoters and radio personalities that cant seem to put two sentences together without sounding bias or a big sousou for an artist/band...its always the real businesswomen that seem to have all of the right answers.

I wish I had the time to dissect each answer but that would take too long....the ones that peaked my interest the most M. Guirand next step and the never-ending struggle for a female lead group.

I think that based her responses if Mickael is truly someone is his caliber and needing to create his own band....then why not join forces with Dat7 and break that glass ceiling...my logic is this since Dat7 is being blackballed by the industry for their "betrayal'; the only way to make it is to have a titan like Mickael come in who will not be denied. Maybe to make everyone feel better change the name like it was suggested and start it over the the same guys.
You have to respect yourself and think as a businesswoman not as a woman trying to do business. There's a big difference there.
This quote right here I think will be missed by alot of people but if women are to ever fully succeed in this male dominated industry they better learn to live by these words and truly know that difference. I also think that the missing piece for a female artist to have massive female following and dare i say even a few "soilders" like some of the men do. The last female to have that was Georgy....Misty Jean had a nice run and Nia but she seems unlucky in this business.
konpaconvert

Re: MIA LOPEZ: 13 QUESTIONS on the HMI (Bands + MORE)!

Postby Ladykreyol » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:56 am

Excellent Q&A. Mia kept it totally real and for those in the industry who are reading this I hope they realize what she said was from the heart with no ill will, just purely constructive, based on her observations as a huge kompa fan.

Good Job Pat.
Ladykreyol

MUSIC