HMI Music NEWS and Discussions

REYNALDO MARTINO: THE 26 QUESTIONS ULTIMATE Q&A!

Postby kompamagazine » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:21 pm

KM interviewed T-VICE maestro REYNALDO MARTINO in this whopping 26 Question Q&A. Some very interesting revelations by the maestro and more for your reading pleasure. If you are a T-VICE fan, or a fan of compas music in general....You will want to read this.

*1) KOMPA MAGAZINE: With a few good albums out on the market right now, is there a pressure on your group Tvice to deliver?
REYNALDO: "Not at all! We have our own style and we know what our fans like! After 24 years in the business we created our own sound therefore we will deliver our best on this one."

*2) KOMPA MAGAZINE: How is the CD going to be different than the previous ones? Or do you plan to follow the same musical avenues as in your recent releases?
REYNALDO: "This one will be different..we have many different styles old and new..the songs are very friendly, nice grooves and great lyrics..bagay kap pase nan vie actuel lan!"

*3) KOMPA MAGAZINE: How many songs are we looking at? The same as usual, or about the seven or eight songs that you guys were thinking about from before?
REYNALDO: "Probably 10 max."

*4) KOMPA MAGAZINE: From the recent CDs that just came out which one is your personal favorite between KLASS, NU Look, DISIP, JBEATZ, Mass Konpa.
REYNALDO: "To be honest each cd to me has their own flavor; and i like songs from each one of them."

*5) KOMPA MAGAZINE: We recently stated that up till now your singer Reggie has not yet shown or delivered for the fans to justify such a high profile position in a very popular group like T-Vice. Do you agree or disagree with that assessment, and do you believe that on the upcoming CD he can make people forget about your former vocalist Olivier Duret?
REYNALDO: "Regie is singing the old songs and doesn't have anything new yet; so of course he can't deliver to the max. Berto and I worked hard and gave Olivier some good songs to prove himself, so we will do the same and work hard with reggie. It's NOT that hard. He has the talent...he needs a very good song! Once you have that, the confidence can build and make him more comfortable."

*6) KOMPA MAGAZINE: Are you for or against established and proven music producers like yourself and others in the business, in terms of having other producers producing songs on your group's CD? Some people are for and others are against it for different reasons. Where do you stand on that and why?
REYNALDO: "I'm okay with any good producers working with us because any little ideas can lead to something positive. We will have a few artists working with us on that one. NOU PA GIN PWOBLEM SA at the VICE2K Studio."

*7) KOMPA MAGAZINE: When some people tend to categorize T-Vice as a "GROOVE" band...jazz groove...and nothing else.... Do you take that as an insult or not?
REYNALDO: "Pat, I don't tend to take any negative comments toward us in a bad way! After 24 years we are still among the best 4 bands in the HMI, so that means we are doing something right! BIZNIS SA GIN ANPIL VOYE MONTE....you just have to focus and please your fans."

*8) KOMPA MAGAZINE: As a pioneer band in the industry, did it EVER cross your mind to add a female vocalist in the band before? Why or why not?
REYNALDO: "Umm... not really! It could be a good idea but i don't think a female will fit our style! But never say never!"

*9) KOMPA MAGAZINE: If for whatever reason 1 of the Martino brothers, whether it's you or Roberto, decides that he is no longer interested in going on the road to perform LIVE with the band....what do you think SHOULD happen...with the band? Continue touring as Tvice...or it's a wrap? Or...
REYNALDO: "I think it would be a wrap! I can't lie to myself. I started this business with Berto 24 years ago; so without him it wouldn't be the same. Berto is the face of T-Vice/singer and guitarist, so it would be hard to replace that. After so many years working on the same stage, we developed an understanding between us that makes things so much easier. I can't start over again. I don't have the same patience anymore!"

*10) KOMPA MAGAZINE: In your opinion, which VICE CD gave the group its peak in terms of popularity in HMI?
A) Banm Tvice Mwen
B) Min Medikaman
C) KITEM VIV
Or....
REYNALDO: "Definitely "BANM TVICE MWEN" (Bidi Bidi Banm Banm cd)... followed by the "Min Medikaman"."

*11) KOMPA MAGAZINE: Is this a fair assessment in terms of the Vice brothers. Roberto is more approachable, diplomatic in terms of if some shit hits the fan; whereas Reynaldo is more reserved, keeps to himself...but is a NO FILTER "GNB" when the heat is on. Is it wrong, or is it fair in terms of the perception that seems to be out there on the streets about the both of you?
REYNALDO: "Well we have an agreement between each other. Berto loves to be on the social media talking to the fans etc; whereas "ME"; I'm more of a studio person. I work day and night at the studio, so I let him do the media and diplomacy work because he enjoys it and he has more time than me :lol: :lol:; but hey I'm a cool guy. I talk to whoever when I have the chance. Also, it's better to have 1 leader in a group. I think it's a fair perception that seems to be out there."

*12) KOMPA MAGAZINE: You have dealt with many different personalities in your band as the group musical leader. What are the three most important characteristics that are needed to be a great maestro and deal with so many different personalities?
REYNALDO: "Well first thing is the discipline! You have to let your musicians know without "that".. there is no business. Also gotta be humble and willing to listen to everyone's opinion. I have a good relationship with my musicians, but whenever we are on stage, they know it's serious and there is no time to play around. Everyone is different, so I learned and established a different relationship with each one of my musicians. That makes things easier."

*13) KOMPA MAGAZINE: From all the musicians that have been part of your band from the past until now, which one was the most difficult personality to deal with?
REYNALDO: "Well I never had anyone in the band that was so difficult. Like i said before, T-Vice is a institution, so when your in it, there is no time to be difficult or to play games. From the beginning I always tell the guys... just do what you have to do and everything will be fine!"

*14) KOMPA MAGAZINE: The band member who is no longer there that you regret; or are hurt the most by his departure is....?
REYNALDO: "I don't have any regrets! We had our good and bad moments but it was all the past. I'm happy with the new team, and so far everything is great."

*15) KOMPA MAGAZINE: Lead vocalist band owner and maestro keyboardist band owner...2 key and very important positions in the foundation of any band. When you were first starting, did you even think that those two positions would be extremely important 24 years later in terms of keeping the business/band alive in these dangerous HMI waters? Or is The fact that you are brothers; that gives you the advantage over most other bands in the business in that category? There is a popular rock band named OASIS that broke up at the height of their popularity simply because the two brothers just could not get along....Loooool..So maybe that is not an advantage after all.
REYNALDO: "I was very young when me and my bro started. We were lucky to have had these positions that today secure our business like you said; but we had pointers from family members with experience. Ex; my Mom always wanted Berto to be the lead singer by all means... after witnessing what happened to Scorpio when "Ti Kit" left."

*16) KOMPA MAGAZINE: Wow...interesting. Was the keyboard your first choice in terms of instruments, or was it forced upon you by your dad or mom since Roberto already had the guitar and vocals position? You could have been a drummer or a bass player....Lol
REYNALDO: "Keyboard was my first choice since the beginning. I used to watch CHARLOT (Top Vice) play back in the days; since then i felt that was the right instrument for me. Now i'm in the studio business, and that's something i find myself liking a lot as well."

*17) KOMPA MAGAZINE: You are good friends with Richard Cave Carimi. With the departure of his lead singer Mike, can the band return and make the same impact on the market as before?
REYNALDO: "Well this is how i see it. MIKE was a good singer in every aspect, so of course it's a big lost; but the motor of Carimi is Richard Cave. Richard composed all of Carimi's hits and he was the leader as well. This guy works hard and he reminds me of the way I do it in TVice; so yes I think with a good album the band can return and make the same impact. You never know it might be better. Who knows?"

*18) KOMPA MAGAZINE: Name 3 NON-Tvice musicians that you are closest to in terms of friendship or acquaintances?
REYNALDO: "Richard Cave, Alex Thebaud, Ti Klod (X-Tassy)."

*19) KOMPA MAGAZINE: In your personal opinion...the 3 current best composers on the market right now...
REYNALDO: "Richard Cave, Arly Lariviere, Richie outside from Berto and I. :D :D :D "

*20) KOMPA MAGAZINE: You have always been described as one of the great keyboard players of your era, so it's only fair that I ask you that question.... What separates a GREAT keyboard player from average good keyboard players?
REYNALDO: "Passion. Discipline. Focus. I had a goal since I was a kid so I worked hard and sacrificed my life and gave my all."

*21) KOMPA MAGAZINE: You seem to be a perfectionist, so I'll ask you this. Name the VICE cd that you were the LEAST satisfied with in terms of how it came out?
REYNALDO: "I was satisfied with all our cds. We suffered a lot from sabotage and that kind of stopped or slowed down some of our cds; and also musicians that left."

*22) KOMPA MAGAZINE: The one song from the group's catalog that surprised you the most when it became a hit... Because maybe you did not expect it to blow up the way that it did. Name the song.
REYNALDO: "I think as a musician you know what will be the hit lol. I always had an idea about which song will be the hit..so most of the time i'm not surprised."

*23) KOMPA MAGAZINE: As a MUSICIAN/Artist... Name your personal favorite VICE CD...that you probably find yourself going back to listen from time to time.
REYNALDO: "Gason Makome for sure...from the Min Medikaman cd."

*24) KOMPA MAGAZINE: A few months ago, I was telling Roberto that my favorite VICE song was "Confession"... and to my surprise, he asked me to remind him how the song sounded again. Loooool. Do you remember every single song in your group's catalog by name?
REYNALDO: "Well most of them... not all of them lol. So many songs.. it's been 24years."

*25) KOMPA MAGAZINE: If that special lady were to ask you to choose between music and her what would you do... If you are madly in love with her?
REYNALDO: "Is she going to pay my bills? :lol: :lol: I don't think it's fair to ask someone to leave what they really love. I would never leave music for anything."

*26) KOMPA MAGAZINE: How long do you see yourself playing music on stage?
REYNALDO: "Good question! Well I love what I do. I love my fans so I don't have a date yet. :lol: :lol: MUSIC IS MY LIFE."

***(INTERVIEW conducted by Patrick Desvarieux for KOMPA MAGAZINE! Sep 2016)***

kompamagazine
Site Admin

Postby larueda » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:14 pm

Nice!
I guess Dener pap bayo anyen lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
larueda

Re: REYNALDO MARTINO: THE 26 QUESTIONS ULTIMATE Q&A!

Postby kompamagazine » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:37 am

From our FACEBOOK TIMELINE!

KM!
kompamagazine
Site Admin

Postby Ladykreyol » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:56 am

Very good interview. Reynaldo gave straightforward answers with a touch of diplomacy on certain questions 8-)
Good job all around.
Ladykreyol

Postby Jay Brooklyn » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:43 am

Nice interview, Rey!
Thanks, Pat!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Jay Brooklyn

Postby KingDave » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:20 am

Lol maestro a mande si fanm l'an ap peye bills li.lol but I agree. Don't leave what you love, there should be a balance. Thank you so much Pat. Great interview
#BlackExcellence
KingDave

Postby Ernst » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:53 pm

Long but great piece. I'm with Reynaldo all the day but disagree with him nan # 7. T-Vice is not among the 4 BEST bands in the HMI.
Ernst

MUSIC